Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Break

I have been trying to think of what to do with my son for March Break. With two such young children how do they have a break you ask? Well it starts out becuase my oldest son and I are quite the buddies, and have been since he was born. I absolutely love the bond we have. When he was about a year and a half my husband and I were concerned that he was starting to have separation anxiety, he would have a melt down anytime I left the house without him. In order to deal with this we decided to put him in Montessori school for a few hours a week.

My son goes 2 mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours at a time. This provides him with 5 hours a week of time away from me, to fend for himself and deal with situations and decisions without my input. It is great because although we have play dates there is no 'mommy' referee at school. Quite often as a mother you are so worried about your child sharing you are a little harder on them when breaking up a dispute between them and another child. School provides an unbiased judge for these fights.

Prior to my second son being born this 5 hours a week gave me time to grocery shop, tidy up a bit and sometimes visit my husband at his work. Now it affords me a chance to spend quality time with my baby. This week is March Break even at his little school so I am trying to find things to keep him and me sane as well as make this week seem special. (I find between feeding the two boys, tidying up after them, making dinner, changing diapers etc., I don't have enough time to just play with him.) Of course he got sick this weekend, and his brother needed his 6 month needle, so today was a write-off. But I have planned some fun things for the rest of the week. Tomorrow we are going to a travelling Ray's Reptile Zoo, here in town at the local fair grounds. Thursday we are going to Chapters. I have heard that they are doing a variety of crafts and games for kids. Friday I am still trying to think of something to do, may be the Children's Museum or an indoor play park. We have a few play dates as well, but I am waiting to see how fast his cold clears up. As a child I remember the weather being so warm during March break we could wear shorts. I wish this was the case now, we could go outside and play in the park or go for walks.

Oh to be young again and the thrill of time off from school!

No comments:

Post a Comment